View of Whiteplains Plantation

View of Whiteplains Plantation
Over Head View

Friday, February 02, 2018

Be sure to check out Dick Hitt's Website


Thanks for coming to my website!

I am glad that we met and I’d like to offer some additional information about myself. I am retired now and living happily in Lexington, SC with my wife, Judy.

I attended The Ohio State University and graduated from Southern Illinois University with a BS degree in Workforce Education and Development. Prior to that I served with the Ohio Air National Guard in Ohio, Kunsan, Korea and Itazukie Air Base, Japan, as a jet engine mechanic. After returning home, I pursued a career in Aviation. I worked as a ground instructor, flight instructor, charter pilot, corporate and jet charter pilot. I am a certified flight instructor for single engine, multiengine and instrument airplanes. I am a Commercial helicopter pilot and an Airline Transport Pilot. I have type ratings in Lear Jets, Citations, Sabreliners and King Air 300s. I have an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics certificate and an Inspection Authorization. I enjoyed a 20 year career in corporate aviation and then went to work for the Federal Aviation Administration. There, I served as the Safety Program Manager for South Carolina for 16 years and as a Principal Operations Inspector for 4 years. In 2000, I was selected as the “Airman of the Year” for South Carolina, and was inducted into the South Carolina Aviation Hall of Fame. (http://www.scaaonline.com/content/richard-dick-l-hitt – If you go to this web site you’ll see a picture of a kid; the reason is that I was that age when I first soloed.) In February, 2012, I received the FAA, Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award, for having successfully completed 50 years of certificated flying. You can see a video of our party at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azn4VJcZx8U.

In support of my sons, I have been an avid, adult Boy Scouter. I have been a Cub Scout Den Leader, Assistant Scout Master (18 years), Boy Scout Committee Chairman, Committee Member, Troop Treasurer, Fund Raiser Chairman, Camping Assistant, Aviation Explorer Post Committee Chairman and Explorer Post Committee Member. I am a member of the Order of the Arrow, Boy Scout camping honorary society. I have also served as President of a high school ROTC parents/booster club and President of the SC chapter of the Merchant Marine Academy Parent’s Club and past member of the high school Parents Advisory Council. While my sons were enjoying Boy Scouting,

I was enjoying it too. In addition to my 18 years as an adult scouter, I also completed 2 treks at the Philmont High Adventure Scout Ranch, in Cimarron, New Mexico; one trek with Matt and one with Adam. What a blessing to be able to do that! I am enjoying retirement with my wife Judy. We travel extensively together. Our favorite destinations are Scotland, Ireland and England. We plan our own trips, rent a car and travel the back roads of the country. We also like to rent boats and travel the waterways in the U.K.. We can travel at our own pace, through bucolic surroundings, stopping anywhere and anytime we want to. We also enjoy traveling on the continent, especially Germany.

For the past few years I have been researching my maternal family genealogy and I have discovered, and actually met, cousins living in Ireland. I was also able to stand in the same house in Ireland, in which my Great, Great Grandparents raised 14 children. This was a special thrill for me!

When we are not traveling, I spend a lot of time in my hangar. I just sold my beautiful, airplane, a 1950, PA-20, Piper Pacer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYPHVo8G57E). I plan to replace that pretty soon with another airplane! I also enjoy repairing and maintaining old cars. I recently rebuilt a 1954, MG-TF and currently own a 1946 Chevy truck and a 1955 Ford Thunderbird, which I am working on, and also a 1957 Morgan which I am rebuilding for my son. I enjoy working around my house and spending time with my wife. I have three sons; Michael, who died when he was 17, Matt and Adam. All three are Eagle Scouts and I am more proud than I can say of every one of them!

 Thanks for coming to my web page. I am enjoying a great life and I’m glad to be able to share my accomplishments with you. I have added some photos here for you. 1950 Pacer 1955 Thunderbird 1955 MG-TF 1946 Chevy Truck 1957 Morgan Our hangar

No comments: