View of Whiteplains Plantation

View of Whiteplains Plantation
Over Head View

Friday, March 23, 2007

AOPA Final Exam

Question: With daylight-saving time starting earlier in the year than it has in previous years, I plan to take advantage of the additional daylight to schedule my lessons after work. If by chance I have a flight that doesn't end until after dark, how do I determine how much of my flight time can be considered night when logging my time?

Answer: FAR 1.1 defines "night" as the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight as published in the American Almanac converted to local time. For the purposes of logging time, you will need to determine when evening civil twilight has ended in your specific geographical area. The U.S. Naval Observatory has a helpful sunrise/sunset calculator that calculates the exact civil twilight starting time for any location in the country. For additional information on this subject, see "Pilot Counsel: Night Flying and the FARs" in the October 2005 AOPA Pilot.

No comments: